Philippines is tropical country so most of the Pinoys are dreaming of experiencing snow or winter season. It has been my dream to experience a White Christmas since I am a child and finally that dream came true last December 2018 although we weren’t able to spend Christmas time in Korea.
Since winter is not part of our season, we really need to be ready with proper attire, accessories and other necessities for cold weather especially when you are travelling with your kids, of course you do not want to ruin your vacation because your kids or even you got sick due of the change of temperature or climate. So here are some tips on what you need to prepare or bring on your winter trip.
First let’s talk about the things that we need to wear, since we need to do some layering we need to make sure that we are doing it properly and not just wearing all the clothes we have and end up looking bad or not be able to move at all.
- HEATTECH – this will be your first layer, these thermals usually looks like leggings or tights that hugs your body to maintain or hold your body heat inside. It shouldn’t be bulky but also comfortable to wear. We purchased our Heattech in UNIQLO, it is a little pricey but it is really effective and will help you a lot in cold weather. You may also opt to buy just a few sets of Heattech before your flight and buy more when you arrive in Korea (if you have spare time) most of the blogs I read before our vacation mentioned that Heattech in Korea is more effective than those bought here in Manila although I haven’t tried it.
- FLEECE – this will be the 2nd layer of your outfit. These are also thermals that provides best insulation that are thick, light in weight and soft. We also bought ours in UNIQLO, they have choices of turtle neck style or round neck style with different colors.
- SWEATERS – the 3rd layer of your outfit, can be a hoodie, cardigan, or knitted sweaters that we usually use during our Tagaytay or Baguio trip.
- JEANS – make sure to bring enough comfortable jeans, wear it on top of your HEATTECH leggings and you are set.
- COAT – the outer most layer of your outfit, and since it is the outer most layer it will appear on most of your pictures so you must invest in a good coat. It is really expensive but it will help you a lot in keeping your body warm. We got some good coats in an online Flea Market and also in Surplus stores in SM Malls.
- GLOVES – our fingers are prone to frostbite so we need to protect it with good gloves. In choosing the gloves make sure that it is waterproof so when you touch the snow it won’t be wet, touch-screen friendly so you don’t need to remove it when you need to use you phone, and durable.
- HATS – for some they thought that wearing hats are just for fashion but Hats are necessity during Winter, it will keep you warm during the cold weather. You may choose a beany, trapper hat Russian with Ear Flaps or knitted hats, anything that works for your fashion and can cover your ears since it is also prone to frostbite so we need to be extra careful. For us we just brought beanies, but it is not enough to keep us warm so we decided to buy Trapper Hat with ear flaps after our 2nd day.
- SCARVES – it can be an accessory at the same time is very useful during the cold weather. You can wear it around your neck, your face, your head your around your waist. It can also serve as a small blanket when you are travelling.
- SOCKS – you also need to protect your feet since this is your number one weapon in travelling to different places. Make sure to buy winter socks, that is not so thick but can keep your feet warm. You can but long socks made of wool thru online shopping – Shoppee and Lazada.
- SHOES/BOOTS – walking around the snow or even during cold season is slippery and even with your wool socks your feet can be as cold as ice so you need to invest on Winter Shoes or Boots. For us we only bought our pair of boots in Shoppee it was delivered from Shenzhen and is very cheap. Although its cheap it still serve its purpose, it protects our feet from coldness and help us not to slip on any road we walked through.
- FACE MASK – it is very important to bring a face mask during Winter season. We weren’t able to bring ours so we need to buy in the convenience store on our first day. It feels like its harder to breath with the cold wind on your face, nose and mouth. It will also protect your face and lips from drying.
- EAR FLAPS – If your Hats don’t cover your ears well you need to bring ear flaps to make sure your ears are protected from frostbite.
- SUNGLASSES – winter season doesn’t mean there is no sunlight that can affect your eyes. So bring your comfortable Sunglasses.